Wednesday, August 21, 2013

  
 Autism Spectrum

We all have odds against us and this is why we all must learn to understand that everyone is different and everyone has something that has stacked the odds against us. I explain briefly about me and my brother Jordan Christopher Diamant. Our story is often sad and troubling, I won't get into everything, suffice to say thanks to our friends new and old we have our happy ending. 

This is my post on why the letter from a angry housewife to a mother of an autistic son really bothered me. We all have heard the story so I will not link to it, but here is what I have to say.

This letter bothered me greatly. You may not know this but Jordan the other half of Diamant is on the autism scale as well as extremely bright and gifted. He suffered a few nervous break downs (one as early as 12) and has anxiety disorders that makes it difficult for him to work. I have been taking care of him for about 10 years now, I am his sole caretaker. He's done very well with therapy, and yes although we're 37 you wouldn't think this sort of thing, letters like this would bother us. But it does. J is easily overwhelmed and panicked.

I am seen as the 'capable one' (I've even been called that) but it was a struggle for me to push myself off the spectrum (as I was on it too). When it came down to it I know I was the stronger twin and so I trained myself, learned to drive a car and keep a long term job. My parents who disowned us for being LGBT also told me for years to dump J off into a mental facility or worse just kick him out and leave him to fend for himself -telling me that "would fix him". I refused and in some aspect have become my brother's parent, but rest assured he takes care of me too and so I am not burdened. He wrote 'In The Night' and published it believing he could help me get out of the work force, and I work to keep our art moving forward.

Please remember although he has made great strides in dealing with his panic disorders and trained himself to deal with new stimulus and criticism sometimes he can't. And That's where I step in- he's not being a crybaby or overly sensitive he cannot process things as you or I may.

In much of the work you'll see Simon Thorsby play mother to his brothers and this is why, he speaks from my own caretaker's POV.

We've had an incredibly hard time these past few years being homeless and such, but we climbed back up to take care of each other. Now you know why we work as hard as we do.
Thanks,
Aubrey.

No comments:

Post a Comment