Saturday, August 24, 2013


As a blogger my responsibility to the authors who I review.

This is what you can expect from me, I will not use my power as a review blog to control authors or make them scared of reviews. Does this mean I'm a 5 star softy? If I find something that needs work, I will point it out to the author, but rest assured I do look for the positive and usually anchor my reviews on the best bits.

I will work with an author, I will never blind side them and not allow them to defend their work. I will continue to promote an author and their projects because I believe everyone has it in them to grow and just because I wasn't too keen on it doesn't mean I'm the absolute authority on the matter. I like things others don't and others like things I don't. Does it mean it is all wrong? NO. It just means that we all like what we like without judgement.

I believe in positive negative as a learning point, when I received a bad review, and yes I have today from a fellow blogger I took into consideration what they said. I was happy that they did not give me too bad a star rating but felt that if they had shown me the review first perhaps it would have been more professional than just posting at Amazon and doing a runner. Did they do this thinking I would come down on them and be hysterical? Possibly. I did unlike their blog and I did this not because they did the review, but because the blogger essentially said they would not support or promote our books. They did not take into consideration that people have minds of their own and we could have still be something that someone is looking for.
So yes I learned something today, as a blogger I have power (albeit it small power). I have the power to ruin or frighten authors. If you have to ask "What if you don't like it?" then I see how authors have been abused by the review system. I will not use my blogger influence to ever harm an author.

You have a promise from me to give you fair treatment.

A promise that I will not misuse my influence.

A promise that I will continue to support the author community with real support and not as a weapon to bludgeon you with.

Aubrey

No comments:

Post a Comment