Sunday, September 1, 2013







 Guest blogger Author Stevie Conradi on how she returned to writing and the discovery of Indie author community. 

 How I re-discovered writing (with a little help from my friend ): I originally started writing when I was about 12 years old. I always had a soft spot for angsty stories staring my favourite characters. Sometimes I felt there wasn't enough angst in my favourite shows, so I started to create my own. My first ever story was a 2.5 pages, handwritten story about TJ Hooker (yes, I'm that old, lol). What I didn't realise until much later was, that this was my way of dealing with the chaos in my family (first, absent father, then later abusive step-father). Eventually, my stories grew longer and more complex, but they were still fan fiction. And since it was too much of an effort to always translate my stories for my English speaking pen pals, I started writing in English altogether. 

My most active fandoms were Star Trek (in my earlier days) and then later Nash Bridges and Third Watch. I can't really pinpoint when I stopped writing, but I think it was when I was about 20. It was the time when I met my fiancé and moved out from home. There was no need to deal with those family problems any more, plus with a relationship, professional training and then later university, there simply wasn't enough time. But looking back, I have to say there was always something missing, like something nagging at the back of your head. 

Then in 2009 I met a fellow Pet Shop Boys fan after a concert in Berlin. Once she learned I used to write, she urged me to start again. And that's exactly what I did. Again, I started with fan fiction. My first 'new area' story was 4 pages typed. Then my friend and I started to write together and eventually, our stories became longer and longer (we have a WIP which is over 80 pages already and is nowhere near finished). Then, with us being fans of some of the same stuff, like Sherlock Holmes and Victorian London, and Diamant looking for authors for their urban fantasy anthology Other Voices, we started writing something original. And now I have to say, my life feels complete again. The nagging voice at the back of my head is gone - or rather it now urges me on to find time to write. And guess what? I officially call myself an "author" now and it feels damn good! 
Stevie

 https://www.facebook.com/StevieConradi?fref=ts 




No comments:

Post a Comment