Friday, September 6, 2013



Guest blog Time!

Stephen De Marino mans the island blog today as part of his spotlight week.



 When the Island of Misfit Independents invited me to write and to be a featured author, I was flattered beyond belief. But what to write about? I hadn’t a clue. I know, silly for a writer to not know what to write about. However, that’s me. So, I will go down that path, that has been well trod, of writing about writing, and why I write. Oh yeah, and I will have to write to do that, won’t I?
I am a misfit. Not the visible misfit, necessarily. I don’t have the large “freak flag” showing that many misfits proudly wear. I am a camouflage misfit. I don’t stand out, I fade into shadows, I blend in. Yet, people know instantly that I am different, that I don’t fit into their preconceived notions of what they think I am or might be, once they realize I am there.

I am a study in dichotomy and balance. I write poetry, sappy sometimes, and I was a rugby player. I write paranormal science fiction, I game, I enjoy nerdism, yet I coach football, like to lift weights, and to most people come across as a “manly man.” I get identified as an “alpha male” all the time, but I do not like dominance games, or to throw my weight around for no reason. I can run a bar, keep control of a tense situation, but screw up in one on one conversation all the time, and am terrified of talking in front of people if I have no authority over them. I am fiercely heterosexual, married with two children, I identify myself as a Christian man, but I am a big proponent of gay marriage, and I believe that other religions may very well have a path to God that will bring them to Him. I choose to believe in a loving, encompassing world, I do my best to reject the negative nastiness that is all around us. I know it is not real, but I work to make it so. I try in all things to have a balance between strength and softness. Between compassion and conviction, between hope and reality, between run and pass, between description and dialogue, between intellect and interest, between the light and the dark. It is not an easy line; it’s what makes me a freak, is that I would even try to balance all these things.

My appearance does not help. I am a big man, 300 pounds, with all the appearance of an aging ex-jock. Many people look at my shaved head, and my tattoo, my size, and assume I am a judgmental redneck-type. Others, who read my work, expect me to be some soft mushy guy who lives with his mother and plays video games all day. I don’t live with my mother, but I am a bit softer that I wish to be. But I still dance, I coach football, I walk to work, I am somewhat active with my son and my job. Yes, I have been prone to playing video games all day when I don’t have to work, and don’t have the kids in the house. Yet, if I hadn’t knocked my head so many times, I would probably still try to play rugby at least a few times a year despite how much it hurts when I do. I shave my head, more out of convenience and a fading vanity more than a political statement. I refuse to shave my goatee off, for similar reasons. I seem to constantly surprise people, who look at me and expect just another ex-jock, or older nerd, and try to limit me, and expect limited conversation back. But I give them my best, I go in-depth on the subject, I try to learn a little something from each of them, and occasionally try to teach something back. Shocking, I know, right? Try to have an intelligent conversation…sheesh, what am I thinking?
 
After listening to me ramble, here I am finally getting to the point! Be who you are, don’t worry about whether or not anyone else accepts you. You are a misfit or you wouldn’t be here. Think about the word…mis-fit. (As compared to Mrs. Fit, that bitch you really hate at the gym or sport club.) You do not fit, you are odd, unusual, strange in some way. That’s why you write, paint or sing. These are our outlets, our way to express ourselves, to establish some control over the weirdness and the pain that is our lives. A way to declare ourselves, to try and find others like us. We do not fit with most, so we try to find, through our art, be it word, song or image, try to find others who can accept us, even if they are not like us. You may be queer, you may be fat, you may be odd, or just plain. So long as you are willing to cast aside your judgment of us, and accept us, we in turn will bring you in, give you a place to be, a place to call your own. There is no hate here, other than a hatred of being alone in a world where that is far too common. Welcome to the Island. Try not to trip over all the square pegs. 

Stephen




No comments:

Post a Comment